Arriving in 1923, Alliance missionaries were the first long-term Protestant workers to enter Cambodia, and Alliance efforts grew into the one of the nation’s largest evangelical communities, the Khmer Evangelical Church.
Alliance missionaries were evacuated from Cambodia in 1975 when the Khmer Rouge came to power. By the end of 1979, 80 percent of Cambodian believers had been martyred during the horrors of Pol Pot’s Killing Fields. From the small seed of some 2,000 remaining believers, the evangelical Church in Cambodia has since grown to more than 200,000 believers.
Nonetheless, Christians in Cambodia number less than 2 percent of the population. More than 75 percent of Cambodia’s 14,000 villages do not yet have any Christian presence. The needs for evangelism and church planting in this war-ravaged country remain great. Grinding poverty for the vast majority of people, which leads to health and social problems, continues to be a major challenge. To these ends, Alliance workers and their national partners are involved in training church leaders, youth ministry, discipleship ministries, planting new churches, medical work, and church-based community development to help meet the spiritual, nutritional, medical, literacy, educational, and AIDS-related needs of local communities.
Khmer Evangelical Church: 65 organized churches, 157 unorganized groups, 24 ordained ministers, and 4,348 baptized members
- Plant churches among the Khmer, Vietnamese, Jarai, Bunong, Kachok, Kuy, Tumpuen, and other minority groups in Cambodia.
- Strengthen our ministries to train church leaders in both the rural and urban context.
- Significantly impact the spiritually and physically needy through medical ministry.
- In cooperation with the national C&MA church, develop Cambodian church-planters who will impact Cambodia far and wide.
- Translate the New Testament into both the Bunong and Kuy languages.
International Workers in Cambodia
The Alliance at Work in Cambodia
As people came to say their last apologies, Mah-nah started breathing again.read more
“The church was packed!” Alliance workers reported.read more
Several months ago, I was struggling with whether to clean my house or to do what I came here to do—reach lost people with the good news of Jesus.read more
Recently, I asked Alliance people to pray that more boys would join the Sunday school class…read more
“I thought this was a disease that society regarded with hatred and prejudice.”read more
- Infant mortality rate—71.5/1,000
- Life expectancy—58.9
- Capital City
- Phnom Penh (1,169,800) pop.
- The size of Missouri, Cambodia (69,900 sq. mi.) consists mainly of a large alluvial plain ringed by mountains, and on the east is the Mekong River.
- Khmer (official)
- Per capita income—$2,000
- Literacy rate—70% (2003 est.)
- Government/Political Climate
- Communist forces captured Phnom Penh in 1975; a 1978 Vietnamese invasion touched off almost 13 years of civil war. The 1991 Paris Peace Accords mandated democratic elections and a ceasefire. The remaining factions of the Khmer Rouge surrendered in 1999. Today Cambodia is a multiparty democracy under a constitutional monarchy.
- Theravada Buddhist—95%
Support the Mission
Alliance ministry in Cambodia is primarily funded through the Great Commission Fund. Help fulfill Jesus’ Great Commission and make a gift to the GCF today.
Give to Special Projects
These field-approved projects are funded by donations in addition to the GCF. Click and give today.
- Vietnamese Church Bldg/Phnom
- KEC Rural Church Buildings
- Women's Ministry
- Children's Ministry
- Church Planting
- Pursat Church Building
- Stung Treng Health Education
- Bethlehem Church Building, Battambang
- Banlung Church Land & Building
- Highlander Ministry Training Center
- Vietnamese Basic Educ Project
- Rural Ministry Training Center
- Alliance Emerging Leaders in Cambodia
- TEE Translation
- ELIM Center Student Scholarships
- New Hope Higher Education Scholarships
- Alliance Bible School in Cambodia
- Vietnamese Secondary Education
- Copeland Medical Ministry
- Bibles/Discipleship Materials
- Publishing House Ministry
- Buonong Bible Translation
- Jarai Bible Printing
- New Hope Medical Ministries
- Christian Campground
- Poipet Medical Project
- New Hope Ministries
- Cambodia Ministry Center Improvements
- Time for Mercy for Orphans/Elderly/Emerg Medical
Is God calling you to service? We’re here to help you connect your passion with God’s purpose.
Serve with The Alliance »