The C&MA entered Costa Rica in 1975 and consists of four organized churches and more than 2,000 inclusive members. Currently, our workers are partnering with national church leaders in Costa Rica, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, and Nicaragua. They are involved in English as a Second language classes, leadership training, and more.
Alliance workers who serve in Latin American countries complete one year of language study in Costa Rica before transitioning to their country of service.
Field Office Information
C&MA Field Entry in 1975
- Field Director:
- Chuck Fanberg
- Mailing Address:
- Plaza Colonial Escazu Apartado 569-1260
, COSTA RICA
The Christian and Missionary Alliance of Costa Rica: 4 organized churches, 1 unorganized group, 6 ordained ministers, 612 baptized members, and 2,120 inclusive members
- Population--4,016,173 Infant mortality rate--9.9/1,000 Life expectancy--76.8
- Capital City
- San José (1,527,300) pop.
- Slightly larger than Vermont and New Hampshire combined, Costa Rica (19,730 sq. mi.) has rich agricultural land, lowlands, and an interior plateau.
- Spanish (official), English
- White/Mestizo--94%; Black--3%; Amerindian--1%; Chinese--1%; other--1%
- Per capita income--$9,600 Inflation--11.5% Unemployment--6.6% Literacy rate--96% (2003 est.)
- Government/Political Climate
- Democratic republic. The standard of living is relatively high, and land ownership is widespread.
- Roman Catholic--76.3%; Evangelical--13.7%; Jehovah’s Witness--1.3%; other Protestant--0.7%; other--4.8%; none--3.2%
Support the Mission
Alliance ministry in Costa Rica is primarily funded through the Great Commission Fund. Help fulfill Jesus’ Great Commission and make a gift to the GCF today.
Give to Special Projects
These field-approved projects are funded by donations in addition to the GCF. Click and give today.
- Impact Church Proprty/San Jose
- San Jose Church Plant
- Sweet Refugio Coffee Shop
- Leadership Training Scholarships
If you don’t see the project you are looking for, use the designated giving option.
The Alliance believes wholeheartedly in the power and necessity of prayer. We cannot “Live the Call Together” unless prayer is central to all we do—in our denomination, in our churches, and in our individual lives.
You can help build Christ’s Church around the world by donating online to the Great Commission Fund. This central funding vehicle allows our international workers to focus on ministry rather than raising financial support.
Is God calling you to full-time service? Do you want to participate in a short-term missions trip and experience missions work firsthand? We’re here to help you connect your passion with God’s purpose.