An Urban Holistic Development team needs you!
We seek a compassionate, justice-driven couple to model contextualized holistic development in the sprawling metropolis of Jakarta.
Posted on December 21, 2016
- International worker—Vocational Track
- Community and leadership Development
- Couple or single
Over half of Indonesia’s 240 million people are crowded into urban centers. For many, the dream of jobs and opportunity is lost in unemployment, poverty, and despair. We seek a compassionate, justice-driven couple to model contextualized holistic development in the sprawling metropolis of Jakarta. Strategically located near the national office of the Alliance in Indonesia, they will also train and support Indonesian counterparts—including Kemah Peduli, the new social foundation of the Gereja Kemah Injil Indonesia (C&MA). The goal will be to increase vision and capacity for implementing transformational community development.
- Completion of Alliance Polity courses
- Completion of the World Perspectives Mission Course or equivalents
- Modern Language Aptitude Test (MLAT) score of 45 or highers
- Study in the area of community development and/or urban ministrys
- Willingness to receive continuing cross-cultural training on the job (those without missiological degree)s
- Hold to a holistic philosophy of ministry and theology of the poors
- Excellent relational skillss
- Strong communication/verbal skillss
- Ability to prioritizes
- Higher Education and/or experience in development (education, health, agriculture, income generation, etc.)s
- Experience in organizational development/project management
- Live in a community of the majority faith in Jakarta (or other nearby urban center)s
- Invest in Kemah Peduli in leadership and broad capacity-buildings
- Develop broad and deep relationships among the majority populations
- Join and develop a transformational community development ministry (visa sponsorship would be through this work)s
- Spend 20 hours a week on language learning, enculturation, and relationship-buildings
- Continue to support the capacity-building of Kemah Peduli, and network with them in implementing community development initiatives with the poors
- Teach seminars and courses on urban holistic ministry as opportunity arisess
- Provide GKII workers throughout Indonesia with development resourcess
- Regularly share the gospel and disciple new believers
Timeline for Deployment:
30% of the population lives below the poverty line.
Work and Living Environment:
Applicant will live in an urban center with many “western amenities.” The applicant will serve with at least one national couple as teammates and be part of a larger network of ex-pat and national workers. They will be under a team leader and report to the field leadership team.
Status of Christian Witness:
The Joshua Project—Indonesia
Receive one year of intense language study followed by on-the-field language and cultural acquisition studies. Dedicate several hours per day to language acquisition and then continue to make mastering the Indonesian language a lifelong goal as this will greatly enhance your ministry and ability to impact people for Christ.
Jakarta has good health care facilities, as do other large cities. Well-trained doctors and most medications are readily available. Serious health issues are usually handled in Jakarta or Singapore.
Expectations for Spouse:
Spousal roles vary based on the spouse’s giftings and training, and the needs of the team. It is expected that both spouses will be meaningfully involved in meeting ministry objectives, depending on the nature of family roles, children, etc. Ministry opportunities for the spouse include teaching at a girls’ trade school (health education, English, culinary arts, micro-enterprise, Bible), medical ministries (community health, wound care for street boys, clinic consultations), discipleship & evangelism with women and children, as well as other opportunities.
Children’s Educational Plan and Options:
International Christian schools are available and home-schooling is also an option with many resources available.
This position is designated to be funded through the Great Commission Fund (GCF). We offer compensation for this position, covering costs related to a monthly living allowance, housing, travel, children’s education, and full benefits. Please visit our compensation page for details on how U.S. Alliance international workers are supported. GCF-funded workers share responsibility for raising GCF dollars from Alliance churches and other sources.
The C&MA is an evangelical denomination committed to planting churches both in the United States and internationally. Due to the nature of this ministry opportunity, part of the required qualifications include being healthy in all aspects of life. As you move forward in the consideration process for appointment, these will be assessed.
Applicants should be aware that serving in the international world often requires a higher degree of grace and flexibility. For example, overseas teams can be suddenly and unexpectedly impacted by illness, government decisions, financial realities, team changes, or other factors beyond the team’s control. The challenge for applicants is that these factors can sometimes necessitate the sudden redefining of a position, which may take place before, during, or after the application/interview process has begun or is completed.
Please contact Amy Roedding at firstname.lastname@example.org.Apply Now
Is God calling you to service? We’re here to help you connect your passion with God’s purpose.
Serve with The Alliance »