Pray for Thanksgiving Weekend Outreach in Senegal
November 22, 2011
By Evan and Jewel Evans, serving at Dakar Academy, Senegal
The following is an excerpt from a recent update by the Evanses who serve at Dakar Academy—a boarding and day-school program (K-12) largely for the children of international workers. School chaplains, the Evanses head up outreach programs and discipleship ministries; they also serve as dorm administrators.
We are up to our eyeballs in preparations for our Thanksgiving outreach weekend. It is going to be a big group again this year—about 140 of us, including 15 students from Faith Christian Academy in Colorado Springs. There will also be 10–15 Senegalese pastors and laypeople who will join us in ministry when we arrive in the area.
We will be busy with a number of team ministries during daylight hours, including:
- A drama team and children’s ministry team that will travel to a number of villages
- One work team that will paint a church in Bikol (the church for which we laid the foundation and made bricks by hand in January).
- A team that will paint a mural on the front wall of a church in Diofane (the church we built in November 2010).
- Our medical team, which will include three nurses and a doctor who will minister in Diakhao; they will be joined by a team that will dig and lay a foundation as well as make bricks by hand.
- A small team that will build 20 benches for the new church.
In the evenings, we will be holding evangelism campaigns in the following villages:
- Fri., Nov. 25: Diakhao, Gandiaye, Poukham Tok
- Sat., Nov. 26: Mbelakadio, Ngouloul Peul, Mbouscene
On our way home Sunday morning, we plan to worship in the church that we helped build in Diofane during the fall of 2010. We’re looking forward to the blessing of worshipping with our African brothers and sisters and seeing the results of our labors there last year.
We will be serving in an area that is populated by followers of the predominant religion here and ministering in villages that have just begun to hear about Jesus. Please pray for open doors and open hearts. Pray against spiritual resistance and that God will prepare the way for us. Pray for protection in travel and at all the ministry sites.