Flash Flooding in Southern Russia Leaves 40 Alliance Families Homeless
July 10, 2012
More than 170 people have died and several hundred have sought treatment for injuries, but these numbers are expected to rise. Tens of thousands have suffered damage to homes and property.
Churches that are members of the Evangelical Christian Missionary Union (ECMU)—the primary Alliance national church partner in Russia—are located in the three cities most severely affected: Krymsk, Gelendzhik, and the coastal port of Novorossiysk.
Alliance workers in these areas, and leaders within the ECMU, report that no members of their congregations were killed. However, more than 40 families attending ECMU churches have been left homeless. In most cases, the contents of flooded houses are unsalvageable. Because homeowner’s insurance is a luxury in Russia’s economy, the losses will be great.
Alliance Churches Respond
Coordinated relief efforts this week are focused on providing for the most basic needs of flood victims—bottled water, toiletries, medical supplies, blankets, roll-up mattresses, small generators, clothing, and food supplies. Teams continue to remove water and mud from homes.
Needs anticipated beyond the first week include:
- Provision of basic cooking appliances for homes;
- Repair of water damage; and
- Home reconstruction. (The ECMU anticipates organizing work teams to do the reconstruction.)
CAMA, a partner agency of the C&MA, has earmarked $10,000 for initial relief efforts. More funds may be released as the crisis unfolds.
In 1993 the U.S. Alliance commissioned international workers to help plant churches in Russia. Nearly 20 years later, the U.S. Alliance family has the privilege of helping our sister churches in southern Krasnodar overcome this flooding crisis.
What You Can Do
Pray for the people of southern Russia and for the outreaches to many in need. Pray for Alliance workers around the world.
- Give to CAMA Russian flood relief to help with the immediate relief efforts described in this article.
- Give to the Great Commission Fund to support Alliance workers in Russia, who are there for the long haul, walking with people through this crisis and extending the hope of Christ to those who have suffered great loss.
Read an article from the BBC about this crisis. Note: Clicking on this link will take you off of The Alliance Web site.