May 27, 2016
The following news was received on Friday, May 27, by Arie Verduijn, president of the Alliance World Fellowship (AWF):
We received a heartbreaking message from Pastor Nipon Luang-gern, president of The Christian and Missionary Alliance Thailand. He reports about a huge fire that caused the death of 17 children in a Christian dorm in Wiang Pa Pao. Six of these children were from one Alliance church in Khun Mae Pao.
The fire broke out about 11 p.m. on the first floor. Many of the children who were asleep on the second floor could not escape as the flames devoured the two-story building. Initial investigations indicate that a malfunctioning lightbulb ignited the fire.
Please pray for the church and especially for the families of these children. Pastor Nipon is planning to hold a memorial service on Monday, May 30, 2016.
On behalf of the international Alliance family, the AWF sent a token of love for the bereaved families.