Steve and Claudia Irvin
Prayer Letter/Ministry Update
Welcome to our web page! A little bit about us: Following a pastorate in Titusville, FL, we served with The Alliance for 26 years in Latin America in Colombia and Argentina, before accepting a call to pastor a church in Toronto, Canada for three years, and then served as interim pastor at Tabernaculo de la Fe church (our sending church) in Orlando, FL. Since January 2013 we are engaged as International Workers in Madrid, Spain in Bible Institute teaching, mentoring of leaders, and evangelism. We have four adult children and six grandchildren. Pray for us that God would continue to form us daily into the image of Christ, even as He would use us to see many come to Christ and follow Him as Lord and Savior.
IRVIN UPDATE/May 2016
HE MADE THE STARS ALSO
“I took you from the ends the earth, from its farthest corners I called you. I said, ‘You are my servant;’ I have chosen you and have not rejected you. So do not fear for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (Isaiah 41:9-10)
12- Disciple-makers whom to mentor.
3- New pastors to emerge from the Bible Institute (INFORMA).
3- People groups in which to see spiritual fruit: Latin American immigrants, North African immigrants, and Spaniards.
Having lived in major cities on three continents, it has been a while since we have seen any but the brightest stars. In March, we were in the Canary Islands for INFORMA Bible Institute teaching, the first institute modules to be offered in the islands. The second week, I ministered en la La Palma. One moonless night the pastor took me to the top of a mountain on the island, and there I saw more stars than I remember ever having seen in my life. It was awe inspiring and reminded me of God’s faithful promise to Abraham that he is fulfilling even today in drawing people from every nation to Christ: “I will surely bless you, and I will surely multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and as the sand that is on the seashore” (Gn. 22:17).
Have you ever noticed how often the stars are mentioned in the Scriptures? Teaching the Book of Revelation in February, we saw that when the Day of the Lord comes, the stars will fall from the sky (Rev. 6:13). In Homiletics class in the Canary Islands, we were reminded that Jesus holds the stars, which represent the angels of the churches, in his hand (Rev. 1:20). In the module on the Introduction to the Old Testament, the stars speak of God’s majesty and sovereignty. “He determines the number of the stars; he gives to all of them their names” (Ps. 147:4).
When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,
what is man that you are mindful of him,
and the son of man that you care for him? Ps. 8:3-4
He who is mindful of us is at work in our lives and ministries. The first INFORMA class graduated in Madrid in April. All ten graduates are involved in ministry in their churches. Three of them are pastors. Another INFORMA student whom I mentor, Germán Vargas, was just installed as pastor of the Alianza de Amor Church. The Lord is answering many prayers for the development of these key leaders.
The first four months of this year have been intense with ministry in Spain and in Italy. We have seen the hand of the Lord upon us. Please keep us in your prayers as we continue in preaching, teaching, and mentoring; that we may faithfully declare the glory of God, even as the stars themselves declare it (Ps. 19:1). Jesus is Lord.
All for Jesus Until He Comes!
Steve and Claudia Irvin
Information about the work in Spain:
A Prayer for Spain (Includes stirring videos for use in prayer meetings)
Praying for Spain
We are supported by your faithful contributions to the Great Commission Fund of The Christian and Missionary Alliance, 8595 Explorer Drive, Colorado Springs, CO 80920, or online.
Our ministry is part of the worldwide effort of The Christian and Missionary Alliance. Our “big team” includes over 750 people like us! You can sign up here to receive regular updates about our Alliance efforts around the globe. Or click here for social media updates.
Prayer Requests/Answers to Prayer
We request your prayers for the following ministry opportunities:
- We praise the Lord for His blessing on Steve's INFORMA courses in Madrid, Barcelona, and the Canary Islands, and on our ministry in the Ancona, Italy church, and for our special time spent with Doug and Naomi Ord.
- Pray for Claudia's ongoing discipleship ministry through the Bible Academy classes. Our desire is to "make disciples who make disciples." Pray for Martha and Myrian who are gradually assuming the leadership of the ministry, that the Lord would give Claudia wisdom in supporting them in this transition.
- For a neighbor with whom Claudia has developed a friendship. Ask the Lord to give Claudia open doors for proclaiming the Good News of Jesus with her friend with boldness and clarity.
- France: For the Paris team as they are in the throes of transition with two couples leaving for home assignment. Pray for the team as they continue to seek to establish missional communities with a view of reaching French-speakers with the gospel of Christ.
- Online graduate course development: Pray for Steve as he leads a team that is designing a graduate course on Christ-like leadership with an emphasis on mentoring. We are seeking to communicate a very informal, organic strategy of leadership development in a formal academic context. Pray for wisdom, and that the Lord will use this course as a catalyst to developing Christ-like leaders.
- Moroccan Arabic Speakers: One of our colleagues here in Spain is leading a translation team for the Days with Jesus (DWJ) mentoring tool that is based on the Jesus Film. DWJ has been translated into various languages. Pray for our colleague as the team is in the proof-reading stage, just prior to the voice recording stage. Ask the Lord to use this tool to speak into the lives of many Moroccan Arabic speakers.
- Please pray with us:
That our one overriding passion would be Christ Himself. That we would seek above all His Name and Renown, His Glory and Honor, His Majesty and His Kingdom. That He would lead us to drink deeply of the Holy Spirit and would daily grant us fresh empowerment to walk in holiness, to love Him with our whole heart, mind, and strength, and to serve Him faithfully. That we would be used by God to hasten the coming of Christ as we await His glorious return when He will establish His kingdom and set things right. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
Praise the Lord.
Updated: May 03, 2016
- Children's Names
- Field Assignment
- Country of Service
Is God calling you to service? We’re here to help you connect your passion with God’s purpose.
Serve with The Alliance »