Steve and Claudia Irvin
Prayer Letter/Ministry Update
Welcome to our web page! A little bit about us: Following a pastorate in Titusville, FL, we served with The Alliance for 26 years in Latin America in Colombia and Argentina, before accepting a call to pastor a church in Toronto, Canada for three years, and then served as interim pastor at Tabernaculo de la Fe church (our sending church) in Orlando, FL. Since January 2013 we are engaged as International Workers in Madrid, Spain in Bible Institute teaching, mentoring of leaders, and evangelism. We have four adult children and six grandchildren. Pray for us that God would continue to form us daily into the image of Christ, even as He would use us to see many come to Christ and follow Him as Lord and Savior.
IRVIN UPDATE/July 2015
THE KINGDOM OF SELF AND THE THE KINGDOM OF GOD
“I took you from the ends the earth, from its farthest corners I called you. I said, ‘You are my servant;’ I have chosen you and have not rejected you. So do not fear for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (Isaiah 41:9-10)
12- Disciple-makers whom to mentor.
3- New pastors to emerge from the Bible Institute (INFORMA).
3- People groups in which to see spiritual fruit: Latin American immigrants, North African immigrants, and Spaniards.
Since January, we have been preaching through the book of I Samuel in the Alianza de Amor church. I never realized the depth of truth in this historical book that people often only remember for the story of David and Goliath.
We have seen an important application from I Samuel for all of us today. Saul, the first king of Israel, forgot that he really wasn’t the true king of Israel after all. He had been chosen and anointed by the True King to represent Him, the living God of Israel. His “kingdom of self” was always in conflict with the True King. In the same way, we are all faced with the question: Will we submit to the kingdom of self, or to the kingdom of God? I can think of no more important prayer request for us: that we would grow in Christlikeness, dying to the kingdom of self, and walking daily surrendered to the rule and reign of the True King.
These first six months of the year has seen us minister in teaching, preaching, and mentoring in different contexts:
- Claudia has taught three classes of Bible Academy weekly, in addition to meeting weekly in a women’s Bible Study which she has often led.
- January: We ministered in a pastors’ retreat in Italy with great blessing. The next week I was in Manchester, England teaching.
- February: Taught in Madrid and Barcelona in the Bible Institute. We also ministered in a pastors’ retreat in Barcelona.
- March: Mentor training in Bogotá and Medellín, Colombia
- April: Study in preparation for Bible Institute teaching. Mentoring an elder in the church, especially in his preaching role.
- May: Began a coaching relationship with a church planting team in Paris for the next year.
- June: Taught a Bible Institute module in Madrid and Barcelona, in addition to a regional leadership gathering where we shared principles of Christlike leadership using “The Leaders Covenant.”
The Lord has strengthened us and helped us at every turn. Please pray with us for the following:
- We minister in a regional leadership gathering in Barcelona on July 4, staying over on Sunday to preach in the Badalona church.
- I am in the midst of teaching an eight-week online graduate course on mentoring like Jesus. Pray that students would catch a vision of mentoring as a key component in developing Christlike leaders.
- Claudia will be teaching Bible Academy through the end of July. Her students are key in our goal to make disciples who make disciples.
- The hot Madrid summer is an important time of study in preparation for a fall Bible Institute module on the Old Testament Prophets, as well as upcoming leadership training in Colombia and Peru. Ask the Lord to give me His messages for His people.
- That we may discern with the Paris team how best to walk with them in this process of building missional communities.
Thank you for praying for us. Thank you for supporting us. It has been said that when we pray, “Thy kingdom come,” we are saying implicitly, “My kingdom go.” May it be so in all our lives.
All for Jesus Until He Comes!
Steve and Claudia Irvin
Information about the work in Spain:
A Prayer for Spain (Includes stirring videos for use in prayer meetings)
Praying for Spain
We are supported by your faithful contributions to the Great Commission Fund of The Christian and Missionary Alliance, 8595 Explorer Drive, Colorado Springs, CO 80920, or online.
Prayer Requests/Answers to Prayer
- Pray for Claudia as she is teaching three classes of Bible Academy through the end of July.
- July 4-5: Ask the Lord for His blessing as we minister in a regional leadership gathering in Barcelona on July 4, and in the Badalona church on Sunday, the 5th.
- Pray for Steve as he is preparing a Bible Institute course for the fall, as well as messages for a leader training in Colombia and Peru.
- Pray for the Paris church planting team and for wisdom as we seek to encourage them in this challenging ministry.
- Please pray with us:
That our one overriding passion would be Christ Himself. That we would seek above all His Name and Renown, His Glory and Honor, His Majesty and His Kingdom. That He would lead us to drink deeply of the Holy Spirit and would daily grant us fresh empowerment to walk in holiness, to love Him with our whole heart, mind, and strength, and to serve Him faithfully. That we would be used by God to hasten the coming of Christ as we await His glorious return when He will establish His kingdom and set things right. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
Praise the Lord.
Updated: July 01, 2015
- Children's Names
- Field Assignment
- Country of Service
- Calle de Planeta Urano, 2
- Portal 3 Piso 5D
- 28983 Parla, Madrid,
Is God calling you to service? We’re here to help you connect your passion with God’s purpose.
Serve with The Alliance »