Steve and Claudia Irvin
Prayer Letter/Ministry Update
Welcome to our web page! A little bit about us: Following a pastorate in Titusville, FL, we served with The Alliance for 26 years in Latin America in Colombia and Argentina, before accepting a call to pastor a church in Toronto, Canada for three years, and then served as interim pastor at Tabernaculo de la Fe church (our sending church) in Orlando, FL. Since January 2013 we are engaged as International Workers in Madrid, Spain in Bible Institute teaching, mentoring of leaders, and evangelism. We have four adult children and six grandchildren. Pray for us that God would continue to form us daily into the image of Christ, even as He would use us to see many come to Christ and follow Him as Lord and Savior.
IRVIN UPDATE/July 1, 2014
FRUSTRATED, YET HOPEFUL
“I took you from the ends the earth, from its farthest corners I called you. I said, ‘You are my servant;’ I have chosen you and have not rejected you. So do not fear for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (Isaiah 41:9-10)
12- Disciple-makers whom to mentor.
3- New pastors to emerge from the Bible Institute (INFORMA).
3- People groups in which to see spiritual fruit: Latin American immigrants, North African immigrants, and Spaniards.
We just returned home frustrated. Monthly 35-40 North African immigrants come to the Alianza de Amor church facilities for the food bank. This is an incredible opportunity to share Christ with them. We spent three hours with them today, as we do almost every month. And we left frustrated.
Frustrated because we cannot speak their language. Frustrated because even in Spanish we find it challenging to enter into conversations that can become vehicles for sharing the Gospel. Frustrated because the group pressure prohibits anyone from openly expressing interest in knowing more of Christ or the Bible. Frustrated because this could be a full-time ministry for SOMEONE.
Yes, we have prayed for spiritual fruit among this people group. We have become friends with several of them and have shared a bit more profoundly with some of them. With our time already maxed out in our present ministry assignments in preaching, teaching, leadership development, and evangelism: we just can’t dedicate ourselves fully to this task. Frustrating, but true.
Yet we are hopeful. Pray with us for wisdom on High to know how best to invest our time and how best to minister to our North African friends. Ask the Lord of the harvest to send experienced laborers to help us and the faithful church members who participate in this ministry. And pray for our friends that the Lord would open their hearts to Christ.
This month of July, evangelical churches throughout Spain are mobilizing to take the gospel to this nation. The theme of the outreach is “There’s a Solution”. Here is the Spanish-language website. We will partner with Alianza de Amor Church both in training workshops and in evangelistic outreach July 7-19. Pray for the Lord’s work in Spain. Ask Him for spiritual harvest and for the making of life-long disciples who follow Jesus wholeheartedly.
This effort comes on the heels of the month with the Trio Mar del Plata that we reported on previously. We continue to praise the Lord for His working through this outreach. Here is an encouraging three-minute slide presentation of the outreach results.
Thank you for your prayers and your support. Jesus is Lord.
All for Jesus Until He Comes!
Steve and Claudia Irvin
We are supported by your faithful contributions to the Great Commission Fund of The Christian and Missionary Alliance, PO Box 35000, Colorado Springs, CO 80935, or online at http://www.cmalliance.org/give/.
Prayer Requests/Answers to Prayer
- We will be participating this month with Alianza de Amor in the nation-wide evangelistic effort, "There's a Solution!" This includes giving training workshops, as well as engaging in evangelistic outreach. Pray for boldness and grace as we share with others. Ask the Lord for fruit from the effort. Pray that Spain will turn to Christ.
- Pray for the continued work of the Spirit in the lives of those who responded in faith to the gospel message during the outreach effort with the Trio Mar del Plata. Pray for those charged with follow-up, that God would use them to make disciples for His honor and glory. Ask the Lord for fruit that remains in Spain, Italy, and Portugal.
- This summer Steve has to prepare for an extensive fall schedule that includes an INFORMA module on "Bible Study Methods," as well as other seminars. Ask the Lord to illumine him in his study and to guide him in all his preparations.
- We are grateful to the Lord for his blessing in our month-long trip to visit family. We celebrated our daughter's wedding, spent great time with our children, grandchildren, and extended family. Each day was a blessing. Praise the Lord!
- Praise the Lord for the team of mentors He has raised up for us to work with in Alianza de Amor Church. These "mentors" facilitate the Basic Truths small group studies on Tuesday nights and Sunday mornings. Ask the Lord to mold us all into those who make disciples that make disciples of others.
- Pray for Steve as he compiles and edits materials from MentorLink in order to make them available freely through the Spanish-language MentorLink “Institute of Leadership and Mentoring." These materials, designed for use by mentors in a small-group context, help participants explore what it means to lead like Jesus. The Institute will not only meet a significant need in the formation of leaders, it will also provide churches and Christian organizations with downloadable materials they can use in their own setting with no charge.
Praise the Lord.
Updated: July 06, 2014
- Children's Names
- Field Assignment
- Country of Service
- Calle de Planeta Urano, 2
- Portal 3 Piso 5D
- 28983 Parla, Madrid,
Is God calling you to service? We’re here to help you connect your passion with God’s purpose.
Serve with The Alliance »